What to do when served with Court documents

If you have received Court documents notifying you of a hearing date, you should act immediately by making an appointment to obtain legal advice. More often than not you would have to prepare and file documents with the Court prior to the hearing date.

It is also likely that you will have to attend at the designated Court on the day. Put the time, date and address of the Court on the Court documents in your calendar!

If you are unable seek legal advice or unable to afford a lawyer and if you happen to live in Melbourne’s Bayside municipality, BAYCISS (Bayside Community Information and Support Service) has an after-hours legal referral system. Simply call them on (03) 9555 6560 or (03) 9555 9910 and they’ll be able to help you.

They may assist with a range of issues including traffic offences, criminal offences, fencing disputes, building disputes, family law issues as well as any other Court issues such as failure to lodge a tax return.

Hassall’s Litigation Services is open 8.45am to 5.15pm Mondays to Fridays. Ask for your one hour free consultation when you make an appointment to see one of our solicitors by quoting this article!


This article provides information that is general in nature and is not a substitute for legal advice.